According to Pope Francis, Yes.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pope-francis-proclaims-mother-teresa-a-saint_us_57cc0153e4b078581f136836?section=&
I have my doubts.
I'm sure Ms. Teresa did many wonderful things and I'm not going to undermine that by saying she added no value to human existence. She did. Her tireless toil was unmatched.
But, at the same time, by perpetuating Catholic teaching against family planning and contraception, she needlessly spawned new generations of poverty by burdening families with children they could not properly educate, clothe or feed.
If your only "moral" goal is to procreate, she was a stunning success. If your goals also included ensuring children are loved, cared for, sheltered, clean, educated, healthy, etc. maybe not so much.
Ms. Teresa was "old school" in many ways - and I can't fault her for being a product of her times (that makes her human - not a saint). But, I can foster skepticism towards the accolades being unfurled upon her.
No comments:
Post a Comment