So, Jonah Goldberg has gotten religion and is prepared to tell partisan hacks and naked ideologues how to be moderate, listen and seek solutions together? If so, good for him.
But, first, I hope he confronts his own role in the rise of mean spiritedness and personalizing differences of opinion.
I remember Goldberg (and his mother) from the Clinton Years, where they were part of a right-wing cottage industry that made money from bashing non-right-wing people, writing screeds/books, inventing conspiracies; and otherwise being ugly human beings.
I was going to order Goldberg's book after I heard him on Morning Joe. He impressed (or duped?) me into thinking he has grown up and matured beyond those years of riling up animosity between the parties and their members. Looking at the title of his last book on Amazon (2008), he seems to have not let go of his monetizing divisiveness even ten years after Clinton left office.
Maybe in the ten years since his last book, he has evolved. But, what I don't know - and what he didn't say - is if he accepts some responsibility for the state of divisiveness today; and what he has or will do to make amends for those years of stoking the kind of bile that poisoned the well; and has brought us to the sad state of hardcore divisions and paralyzed government we have today?
No comments:
Post a Comment