David French, writer for the "conservative" National Review recognizes the bogus-ness and danger inherent with "corporate" patriotism. No doubt Mr. French will receive flack for his "unorthodox" view of American values.
But, nevertheless, he is spot on. Patriotism is not a feeling. It is an investment in the values of freedom. Waving a flag is easy. Getting caught up in the moment of flag waving is easy.
Fighting for the values the flag represents is rarely easy, especially in moments of national "crisis." Kudos to Mr. French for bucking the trend of flag/military worship and getting back to basics.
As, an aside, I still remember a secretary coming to my office after 9/11 offering a mini-flag to fly in my office. When I declined, she was aghast. But, that's only because she didn't realize that I had been flying that flag on my office door long before she jumped on the bandwagon of "patriotism."
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/national-anthem-protests-and-the-self-reinforcing-cycle-of-intolerance/
No comments:
Post a Comment