Wednesday, July 4, 2018

You cannot un-see the revealed darkness inside Family and Friends

The Trump presidency shall pass, of that I am sure.

What I'm really worried about is the aftermath. The long-term consequences on our culture, our discourse, our civility, our trust and our institutions.

There also the matter of "loss of innocence." What I mean exactly is Trump having revealed to us the dark hearts inside those whom we have called good friends and family. That is not something you can un-do or un-see.

I'm reminded of a PBS documentary I saw years ago, showing a video clip of a good, decent God-fearing family leaving church on Sunday morning ... to watch a public lynching.

It is a shocking moment - that reveals how little words matter ("value-voters," for example): when you realize even the pious are quite capable of revealing their black souls in an unguarded moment of brutal honesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment